The Government of India has scrapped the quota through which the members of parliament could recommend the names for admission in Kendriya Vidyalayas.
Current Affairs in Short
PM Modi inaugurates children’s heart hospital in Fiji
- Prime Minister Modi on April 27, 2022, inaugurated Shri Satya Sai Sanjeevani Children’s Heart Hospital in Fiji.
- The heart facility in Fiji will enhance the health facility of the entire South Pacific Region where heart-related diseases are a major challenge.
- In his address, PM Modi said that the shared legacy of ties between India and Fiji is based on a sense of service to humanity and the cultures of both nations that have kept India-Fiji connected.
- While talking about the hospital, Prime Minister pointed that the children will not only get world-class treatment at the hospital but the surgeries will also be done free of cost.
Commander of US-Indo Pacific Command meets Defence Minister Rajnath Singh
- The Commander of the US-Indo Pacific Command, Admiral John Aquilino met Defence Minister Rajnath Singh.
- The meeting came in the wake of the India-US 2+2 ministerial dialogue on April 11 where the US supported India as a defence industry leader in the Indo-Pacific.
- While addressing a press conference after the dialogue, US Defence Secretary Lloyd Austin said that the US has identified a new opportunity to extend the operational reach of our military to coordinate more closely together.
- Austin further added that India and US have committed to more high-end exercises together to strengthen the cooperation.
Kerala makes wearing masks mandatory
- Amid the increasing COVID cases in the state, Kerala Government has made it mandatory to wear masks and any violations will be punishable.
- Earlier, the Ministry of Health and Family Welfare had announced that India has reported 2,927 cases of COVID-19 in the last 24 hours.
- As per the ministry, 32 patients succumbed to the virus increasing the death toll due to covid in the country.
- The daily positivity rate in India has also seen a rise from 0.55 percent to 0.58 percent, while the weekly positivity rate stands at 0.59.
Myanmar Court sentences Aung San Suu Kyi to 5 years in jail
- Myanmar court has sentenced the deposed leader Aung San Suu Kyi in a corruption case to five years in jail after it found her guilty in the first of 11 corruption cases against her.
- The charges relate to the allegations that she accepted 11.4 kg of gold and cash payments worth USD 6 lakh from her protégé turned accuser Phyo Min Thein.
- Earlier, in December 2021 and January 2022 Suu Kyi was handed over 6 years of jail term for breaking a telecommunication law related to the import of equipment, breaching covid law, and incitement against the military.
MP quotas scrapped for admissions in Kendriya Vidyalayas
- The Government of India has scrapped the quota through which the members of parliament could recommend the names for admissions in KV.
- The move by the government has come after the Kendriya Vidyalaya Sangathan had put admissions under the special provisions, including the MP quota, on hold till further orders.
- Under the KVS Special Dispensation Admission Scheme, a Member of Parliament had the power of recommending a maximum of 10 students from their respective constituencies every academic year.
- As per the revised guidelines issued by KVS, several amendments have been introduced under the special provision sections of the admission policy.
Take Weekly Tests on app for exam prep and compete with others. Download Current Affairs and GK app
एग्जाम की तैयारी के लिए ऐप पर वीकली टेस्ट लें और दूसरों के साथ प्रतिस्पर्धा करें। डाउनलोड करें करेंट अफेयर्स ऐप